Okay, so now you are wondering why I have such an odd title. It is not just a title; it is a question to you all. Why do we write? Is it for fun pleasure, or for making ends meet? For me it is for fun I love to write and create stories, characters.
I can tell you from personal experience that it’s not easy to write a good story for public viewing. That is if you don’t know what the heck you’re doing in the first place. This can be disastrous if you release a book or story too soon. I learned that quickly, with my first novel Mystery at the Autumn House Inn. I have learned it is better to wait and really check over your work with a fine tooth-comb before publication.
Even if you think, it's the best freaking thing you have ever written. In a certain way, it is but you need to keep in mind that a lot of editing. Yes, I said it lots and lots of editing. Yes, it is time consuming and it does try your patience. However, it's worth the effort in the end, that is if you really want to show off what you have written to the public.
In addition, if you are not ready for that and you get a bad, bad review. And let me tell you there is nothing worse the dreaded bad review. This could not only kill your chances of getting a big house publishing company,(if you’re going that direction or Indie) Moreover, it can kill your spirit and make you feel like you should give up writing.
In essence, here is some good advice to follow:
1. Don’t let anyone tell you, you cannot write. Yes you can you have these ideas swimming around in your mind get them out on paper or on a word program.
2. Edit lots. Edit everything you write and do it yourself. Yes, it is hard to edit but yes, you can do it yourself. In fact, there is nothing like self-satisfaction in editing your own work.
3. Don’t let anyone tell you how you should write. You use your own style and write the way you want to. For a while, I was not sure of my own style but lately I am starting to get it.
4. Be sure in use a Dictionary and Thesaurus
Use them both at every turn it's in fact your most valuable tool in your writing. Find wacky words to use in your story as long as the mean what you want them too. Don't be afraid to be bold in your writing. Branch out of your comfort zone.
5. Read in the genre you are writing in. Find any books in that genre and study and study. IN ADDITION, don't be afraid to branch out of your main genre, try something new.
6. Finally If you should screw up the first time. It is okay (You can fix it..)
You will be okay and bounce back. We are not perfect no matter how much we want to believe it. We're humans first and always.
"We should embrace our mistakes, not fear them, and learn from them, as we know we are not perfect. We do not come from perfection, we reach for perfection." Author Shani Bush
Your writing will be good in the end as long as you never ever give up. Make sure you've gotten your spelling, grammar and punctuation right before publication. It's perfectly okay to take ones time in writing. It doesn't by any means mean you have to be absolutely perfect but, it doesn't me that we should do anything without really trying.
I hope that my tips have helped you in your path and journey to write.